Glebe House was built over a period of only nine months in 1860, commissioned by Lord Rollo as a new manse for St. Serf’s church. The church itself has an ancient history with its steeple dating from 1200, evidence of an earlier building, and the current enlarged church dating from 1810.
Glebe House was designed by the London architect of the then Lord Rollo’s Dunning mansion, Duncrub House, which is now demolished. Mr Campbell from Perth carried out the interior decoration including the pitch pine work, diaphanie painted glass and decoration. In our renovation of a bedroom we found a pencil line drawing on an original plaster wall. The plasterwork was carried out by a Dunning tradesperson, Mr. Eadie. Did he draw her and who is she?
Four ministers lived in Glebe House from John Wilson’s arrival in 1861 to John Campbell McKinnon’s arrival in 1924. During the Second World War it housed evacuees from Glasgow. The house was sold by the Church of Scotland in 1967 and much of its land given up for development of The Glebe and Manse Place.
Dave and Sara will help you learn more about the history of the house and its occupants .
“The manse it replaced had at least one memorable occupant”. The Reverend “Drouth”, as he was called locally, died one night in 1814 by hanging over Dunning Bridge courtesy of some of his dissatisfied parishioners. Earlier he had let slip about the taking of illegal whisky through the kitchen window and blamed his poor servant Annie.
Read this and more in ”Crossroads and Characters” by Lorne A. Wallace available to view and order through the website of Dunning Parish Historical Society